Adjustment of status after marriage can be an overwhelming experience for many immigrants. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to make the process go faster and easier. However, there are also things to watch out for. You’ll need to have the right documents in hand and know what to expect.

How do I change my status after marriage in the US?

There are several forms you will need to complete before filing your adjustment of status application. These include a form that details the cost and timing of your application, and one that talks about the types of documents you’ll need to provide.

You’ll need to show that you’re a bona fide married couple. That is, you need to have proof that your marriage is legitimate and that the two of you are living together in the United States. If your spouse is a green card holder, you will have to prove that he or she is lawfully in the US.

The best way to do that is to get an immigration lawyer. Not only can a lawyer guide you through the process, he or she can reduce your chances of making a costly mistake.

An attorney will also be able to make the process go much faster. This includes providing you with a checklist of the documents you’ll need to provide. As well as, answering your questions and recommending an action plan that will help you increase your chances of approval.

A good attorney will help you navigate the red flags and determine the best path for you. This can be especially important if you are a foreign national.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *